[PD] Real Time Kernel Debian

Ede Cameron ecameron at videotron.ca
Tue Jul 15 02:29:38 CEST 2008

  Okay after my third attempt and second complete re-install.. does
any-one have links, suggestions about installing a real time kernel.
I think my main problems are with " make oldconfig " I can't find the
original ".conf file to back it up or copy it to the new kernel
package. If my install is fresh would I have one? One site suggests
downloading the .conf file for my kernel version and copying it into
the new kernel package. I have now seen that with ncurses menuconfig
I can just use .conf file at that point. Problem with all these Linux
Debian How To's there seems to be numerous ways to achieve the same
result. I realize that a lot of Pd linux users must have installed a
rt kernel and am hoping to find a good ie its worked for some one
link to a how to...
    My next problem comes during " make-dpkg -i " This seemed to only
last a second seems to me it would be a longer process? I do however
get a " kernel-version .rt " in " /boot " but I am not sure how to
edit yaboot.conf to add it to initial boot.
    On my last attempt it did boot into the rt kernel but the kernel
didn't load. "kernel panic" message saying

  "   FS: Cannot open root device "hdb1" or unknown block (0,0)
     kernel panic: not syncing: unable to mount root fs on unknown-
block(0,0) "

    I don't really understand doesn't the kernel become part of my
original Debian install? ie there is no repartitioning of the hard-
drive its just an alternate install. I am assuming this is some
problem with yaboot.conf?
    Any help would be appreciated
      Dual boot mac Os X Debian/  ppc powerbook g4
  Any useful links would be great
  I used these:
   http://rt.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/RT_PREEMPT_HOWTO
   http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=17035     (suggested make-
dpkg command didn't work)
   http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html
   http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/Kernel-Build-HOWTO.html
   plus a bunch more but these were the main ones.

  Thanks Ede