[PD] [PD-announce] pdpedia is back!

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Jul 15 21:32:43 CEST 2008

On Jul 15, 2008, at 2:04 PM, Ico Doornekamp wrote:

> * On 2008-07-15 Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org> wrote  :

>>> I recommend the ConfirmEdit plugin (which is also listed on the
>>> above
>>> page) using only the 'addurl' and 'createaccount' triggers. This
>>> requires the user to fill out a captha when adding new links to a
>>> page
>>> or when creating a new account, while editing of regular content
>>> is not
>>> affected. On a mediawiki page I administer this plugin was able
>>> to keep
>>> out the >200 spam edits which were performed every day.
>>
>> That one sounds rational.  How long have you been using it?
>
> Since august last year, and fortunately not a single spam or vandalism
> since. We also run the 'SpamBlacklist' plugin, but this one was not
> able
> to keep out the spam on its own.
>
>> I am sure that many anti-spam techniques will reduce spam in the
>> short
>> run.  The trick is to make sure that the spammers don't then shift to
>> some other kind of spamming which is more work to manage, like
>> creating accounts.
>
> Indeed. Our wiki used to be configured to only allow edits from logged
> in people, and all the vandalism was done through logged-in accounts.
> This why having a captcha for creating accounts might help as well.
>
> I see in the pdpedia 'recent changes' page that most of the spam is
> confined to two or three pages only, but it still messes up the
> history
> overview and makes it unreadable because of the tens of edits per day.

Previously, it was really easy to delete all of the spams, so they
weren't in the history anymore.  But it seems my 'delete' tab has
disappeared.  Can anyone else delete the spam, or perhaps something
has changed in the mediawiki config since the OS upgrade fiasco.

> Another question on the wiki: as a PD newcomer, one of the things I'm
> looking for is a more or less 'formal' description for each module's
> parameters, inputs and outputs. Most of the help pages have a short
> description and some example of a modules usage, but there does not
> seem
> to be a single structural way to describe each module. Would it be an
> idea to define some templates and examples for this purpose and ask
> the
> users of the wiki to use this to describe modules ?

Yes, that's definitely what we are trying to do with pdpedia.  If you
want to take the lead on that, please do!

.hc