[PD] really annoying question about tildes~

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Jul 16 17:10:05 CEST 2008

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008, marius schebella wrote:

> does pd have something like a "registered objects list"? an index, which
> is created on pd startup that holds the name and aliases to all objects
> that can be created but without loading the objects themselves?

reminds me that jMax had a two-step setup mechanism: all the libraries
would be open, and the main setup function would be run, and class loaders
would be run, but the classes were actually "loaded" later, on demand. In
the end, it doesn't make so much of a difference, and it might be worse.
It's better when all the class_new are in one spot because then the OS
needs to read less blocks from the disk. When you load a big lib, anyway,
the OS doesn't actually read the whole file immediately (which is one of
the reasons why single-class externals don't save much RAM in practice).