[PD] really annoying question about tildes~

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Wed Jul 16 18:37:46 CEST 2008

Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>If all internal classes became single external classes, as some people have
>wished already, then you end up with bunch of classes named like [*] and
>[/] that have to be named something in the filesystem, and so should their
>helpfiles. Furthermore, by consistency, things closely related to the [*]
>class should be named with a "*" in the name instead of a "mul", and things
>closely related to [/] should be named with a "/" in the name instead of a
>"div", and so GridFlow's [inv*] was part of a jMax-compat layer and the
>original jMax class was called exactly [inv*] because the jMax authors
>judged it to be so closely related to [*]. There's another way of
>understanding the behaviour of that class, but in that case it is so
>closely related to [/] instead.

Maybe by adding a list of aliases to the init file, arbitrarily named
objects could be stored on a filesystem with safe names and instantiated
using the weird name.

>>I mean why not make an external with the three-character name
>>[ctl-alt-del]?
>
>Ctrl and Alt are not characters and don't have any character code
>representation.

That makes them so much more interesting to implement ;) Or how about
[ctl-g], which should make the computer beep whenever you type it in...

Martin