[PD] Harware and video card with Linux

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 09:20:42 CEST 2008

On 13 Jul 2008, at 7:28 AM, Jack wrote:

> I would like to use one PC with ubuntu and 2 graphic cards with 2
> outputs (total : 4 video outputs).
> I usually use a Mac.
> Can you give me a good harware configuation using Pd and GEM
> equivalent to a MacPro configuration (2 intel Quad-core 2,8 GHz and 2
> ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT) ? Not too expensive please !

I did just that a couple of weeks ago -

I used 2x quite different NVIDIA cards - an older NVIDIA 6800 card
and a cheaper but newer Gigabyte card with an NVIDIA 9600GT chip
[less than $200 here in Australia], both PCI-E. The motherboard has
an NVIDIA chipset. Both work fine together, the NVIDIA driver
recognises them both easily.

I could put each in Twinview mode then use 2 gemwindows [a while back
I successfully tried the multi-window version of Gem, but haven't
done so recently], but instead I set up xorg to give 4 separate
displays for different Gem windows (4 instances of Pd, one running on
each of the 4 displays). I may buy another of the 9600 cards and see
if I can get a single large gemwindow for all 4 projectors using the
SLI link - but I haven't done that yet.

I run Debian (the Sidux distribution with a 2.6.25 kernel. The
processor is an oldish dual core AMD.

simon