[PD] [nosleep] WAS: how to avoid (most/many/some) readsf~ dropouts

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Jul 19 02:29:16 CEST 2008

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> They are not "my" namespaces.  I neither wrote the code, nor figured out
> their usage.  I just think it is a pretty good system to use.

Well, given how much Günter is not there anymore and how much you are
there talking about said namespaces, I'd say that they are pretty much
yours. They could also be Günter's and yours at once, or only contextually
yours to the extent of the conversation that we're having. Whatever it is,
I know that you didn't code them, but this is not what I want to
concentrate on.

> IOhannes had "/" working in hexloader, but it has other issues.

You can't get "/" to be unambiguous if it is also a namespace separator
and this problem doesn't depend on hexloader or even filesystems. Can the
hexloader also be involved in finding helpfiles? [round/]'s helpfile can't
be reasonably called "round/-help.pd". But the ambiguïty I want to talk
about is that, let's say you have a ~ version of [round/]. Well,
[round/~] is also a possible name for a class named [~] in namespace
"round". So when you query what's the namespace associated to the
classname "round/~", what shall you get, "" or "round" ?