[PD] pdlua also into vanilla?

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 19:31:20 CEST 2008

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> On Jul 19, 2008, at 10:40 AM, marius schebella wrote:
>
>> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>> As a test yes, but not for the release.  It's changing too fast right
>>> now to maintain backwards compatibility, so including it would cause
>>> more problems than it would solve.
>>
>> I am not sure, if it really changes, or if it only adds new features.
>> I think the big problems (file naming, loader) are solved, but not sure.
>> I worked a lot with py/pyext and pdj in the past (which are also
>> candidates for pdx), but pdlua is the only scripting tool that can
>> easily integrate the language as a static library, because it is so
>> small. maintainance should be easier than with python and java.
>
> Adding features is also changing.

but it doesnot affect backwards compatibility. it only adds new
features. and btw it would give pdx a breeze of brazilian flair.

>>> I just had a thought: how about replacing Tcl/Tk with Lua/Tk?  Just a
>>> thought...
>>
>> is this just a matter of replacing one with the other, or does this
>> mean every graphical part has to be rewritten?
>>
>> marius.
>

> It would mean rewriting pd.tk in Lua and translating the Tcl/Tk code in
> the C files into Lua/Tk.

and that would allow opengl calls for the interface! I think the problem
with that is, that it is extremely difficult to isolate the interface
parts from the pd code?
marius.