[PD] saving state of a patch

Atte André Jensen atte.jensen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 11:54:49 CEST 2008

Michal Seta wrote:

> The best way to start using memento is to get a patch that works, copy
> and paste the guts into your own and adapt.  That is, providing that
> memento works at all on your system.  There is a guide on footils.org
> that should get you started with the ideas behind the system.  It
> works fine for me (I don't have pd handy right now so I cannot offer
> any specific pointers).
>
> An alternative is apparently part of the pdmtl abstractions
> http://wiki.dataflow.ws/PdMtlAbstractions
>
> I saw a presentation on if bu have not yet tried it.  It is, arguably,
> simpler to adopt than memento.

Both seems complex, and although I appreciate RRADical's (which it seems
memento is part of) "paradigm", I'm still quite new to PD and would like
to make a few mistakes and learn a few lessons before I "just" adopt
someone else's approach.

However, http://footils.org/cms/show/1#persistence suggests that two,
more basic, options exist: state and pool.

1) State. I can instantiate it in my 0.40-3extended-20080628 (under
linux), but there's no state-help.pd anywhere. Where can I read about
it? The above link mentions it "only saves gui", I might want to save
content of table/arrays, is that not considered "gui"? If not, is there
an obvious and therefore elegant of saving guis + tables/arrays with state?

2) Pool. I have the pool-help.pd file, but I cannot instantiate pool,
isn't that part of pd-extended? I tried downloading it and compiling it
myself, but failed:
atte at ajstrup:~/music/synth/pd/externals/pool$ bash
/usr/lib/pd/doc/manuals/flext/tutorial/build.sh linux pd gcc
bash: ../build.sh: No such file or directory
Obviously I have no clue about using flext, could someone help me
getting this working?

At the end of the day, what would be the best bet, state, pool, memento
or pdmtl?

I should note that what I'm trying to do is work out some abstractions
for live electronica, and now I need a way to save piece1.pd and
another_piece.pd which contains one or more instances of one or more of
my abstractions, complete with gui settings and all. If I could just
press "save all this, so everything I loaded in this patch is exactly
the same when I open it again" I'd be sooo happy :-)

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte

http://atte.dk       | http://myspace.com/attejensen