[PD] is $0 the same on every load?

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Wed Jul 23 07:42:05 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 07:25:58AM +0200, Atte André Jensen wrote:
> Chris McCormick wrote:
>
> >Is this so you can save and load different groups of pre-sets
> >separately? I have been trying to think of a nice portable solution to
> >that problem, using sssad. I have some ideas, but nothing concrete yet.
>
> No.
>
> I have an abstraction that counts the beats (or 1/8 notes or other note
> values) and sends out 0, 1, 2, 3 etc for every beat. The idea is to
> instantiate this for every "instrument" that needs to know about time.
> So in one piece it might be two in others 50. A convienient way to store
> them was simply to refer to $0, since I didn't have to worry about
> making some unique identifier up for each instance.

I understand. You want "throw-away" auto-ids. I'm not sure if anyone has
come up with a satisfactory way of doing that, but I will have a think
about it.

Incidentally, How I handle timing is I have a global timer [s-metro]
that keeps going up and up, and I use [mod 4] to (for example) have a
loop of 4 ticks or [mod 32] for 32 ticks. Sometimes I get crazy and add
together two [mod]s to get some weird sounding rhythms.

Chris.