[PD] Fwd: finding the cause of clicks when using sssad WAS: saving state of a patch

Phil Stone pkstone at ucdavis.edu
Wed Jul 23 17:37:27 CEST 2008

Hi Si,

The problem Hans and I were discussing relates to storing/loading sssad
presets to/from disk.  Again, it's not sssad's problem; it's a general
issue with Pd.  When the dsp service is delayed by long file accesses,
dropouts happen.

That said, it's important to design sssad-using abstractions so that
preset-changing doesn't cause discontinuities as well.  For instance,
use [line~] lags for changing parameters to smooth out the jump.  It's
certainly possible to "flick btween presets very quickly" with
sssad-using abstractions; I do it all the time with [polywavesynth].

Phil Stone
pkstonemusic.com