[PD] request assistance with crackles and pops in VFOs driven by modulating accelerometer signals

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 00:02:19 CEST 2008

Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> hard off hat gesagt: // hard off wrote:
>
>> i think it is pretty safe to say that the speed of the oscillator isn't what
>> is is causing these clicks.
>
> Jumps (discontinuities) in a signal are the most nasty cause for
> clicks, while corners are generally harmless, if they aren't too
> sharp. Changing the frequency of an oscillator never generates a jump,
> so it's pretty safe.

but, if you start to control the *volume* directly from a sensor you can
get into trouble if your signal drops to 0 for some milliseconds. also,
if your volume becomes very high, you can get distortion and crackles.
if you do phase modulation you can also get crackles, if you have high
jumps in your control signal. I think it is good practice to use line~
for such things.
marius.