[PD] [PD-announce] some works done with pd

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 23:43:00 CEST 2008

cyrille henry wrote:
> hello,
>
> for those which are interested, here is some work that i recently made with pd/Gem :

that's beautiful!

> http://drpichon.free.fr/ch/article.php?id_article=88

do you create the noise from a procedural algorithm, or is this based on
picture information? the ones in the middle look like they are based on
images? the shape patterns look amazing!

> http://drpichon.free.fr/ch/article.php?id_article=80
> http://drpichon.free.fr/ch/article.php?id_article=76

the trees look beautiful. do you have rules for different tree types?
maya/autodesk (which costs 2000-5000$) includes paint effects, which let
you create trees and I think they are based on l-systems, too. did you
ever look at these?
http://www.highend3d.com/maya/tutorials/dynamics_fx/246.html. I know
this is not compareable, just wanted to add my .9 c.

> http://drpichon.free.fr/ch/article.php?id_article=95
in the description I read, "By combining virtual body art and digital
painting, this work offers to the spectator a new experience of his body
in the public space." this is an interesting aspect, because of the
combination of church (with strong regulations of who is allowed to be
inside and who has to stay outside) and spectators (which seem to be
people who look at the church from outside, but not the people inside
the church itself?). usually the important things happen "inside" and
whatever is projected onto the church from outside does not bother
anybody inside...? in contrast to american mega churches with basically
glass walls and tens of tv cameras, where the prayers want to become the
spectacle. I guess in your installation people looking at the church
influence "only" the wrapping.
sorry I guess I am off topic... the projections themselves look
impressive, did you get this running as an animation? did you use
shaders for the image distortions?

> http://drpichon.free.fr/ch/article.php?id_article=94

these remind me a little bit of some work I have seen (not so much the
technology, but how it looks in the room) by theo watson
http://muonics.net/site_docs/work.php?id=41, but his is more for kids.
It also looks like you got alpha blending working with the flowers. did
you find a method to sort the shapes so that they are rendered from the
back to the front?

thanks very much for sharing, I hope I can see some pieces in real
performance soon.
good luck,
marius.