[PD] d-median (a running median) + d-for (a for loop)

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Fri Oct 17 20:58:20 CEST 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-17 at 17:04 +0200, Damian Stewart wrote:
> Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
> > But I had a *really* hard time to read your patch. Attached is a
> > slightly cleaned up version with some added local sends and many cord
> > crossings removed. Still not perfect, but now I can see more of all
> > these objects. ;)
>
> heh :-)
>
> ... actually looking at that cleaned up version, now *i* can't figure out
> what's going on :-/ although to be honest, i could only barely figure out
> what was going on when i was writing it in the first place, so that's not
> surprising. doing logic with dataflow languages is so heinously complicated...
>
> personally i find sends and receives to be a mixed blessing. on the one
> hand they get rid of unnecessary patch cords, but on the other hand they
> make it much less clear to see what's going on with the execution order.
> (what happens to the execution order when you do a message send/receive,
> anyway? do the send/receive pairs act exactly like patchcords, or is a send
> considered a leaf in the depth-first traversal tree?

when having a look at your patch, i thought to myself: wow, this guy
must be smart, that he still manages to see the overall picture of it. i
agree on what you say about send/receive pairs. however, i still think,
that they could be helpful. the main trouble i have when looking at
d-median, is that there are so many chords going up and down at the same
time. i think, send/receive can help a lot, as long as the receives only
go to an non-triggering inlet. this way you can have very few (optimally
one) patch chords going top->down, while the other stuff is a) labelled
and b) doesn't interfere with the 'main triggering line'. personally i
try to make - especially complex - patches going visually only one
direction (top -> down, usually) and pack as many subparts into
subpatches with meaningful labels. when reading the patch, one can
forget about the details of certain part, while still seeing what the
part does and how it is integrated in the main patch.

roman