[PD] py and xsample in 0.40.3 extended under Linux

altern altern2 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 12:09:25 CET 2008

hi thomas

i decided to give it another go. i checked out the latest svn
flext/xsample and py sources.
so i did
$ apt-get install stk libstk0c2a libstk0-dev libsndobj2c2 libsndobj-dev
then i run
$ bash build.sh pd gcc
then edited the linux file config-lnx-pd-gcc.txt
i noticed i needed to have the pd source, i think i got it from the
pd-extended source. This is the content of config-lnx-pd-gcc.txt after
editing

PDPATH=/usr/local/src/pd
FLEXTPREFIX=/usr
OUTPATH=pd-linux
INSTPATH=/usr/lib/pd/extra
STK_INC=/usr/include/stk
STK_LIB=/usr/lib/libstk.a
SNDOBJ_INC=/usr/include/SndObj
SNDOBJ_LIB=/usr/lib/libsndobj.a
#MFLAGS=-j 2
UFLAGS=-msse -mfpmath=sse -ffast-math
OFLAGS=-O3
OFLAGS+=-march=pentium4

the again and finally
$ bash build.sh pd gcc
$ bash build.sh pd gcc install

it did not complain at all, then i tried to compile both py and xsample.
  All went ok but when i run PD it stays frozen exactly at the time of
again. Both of them cause the same behaviour. I guess some path or
option in the config file is wrong. Any ideas? I think something went
wrong because it did not install it properly as far as i can see. The
flext/build.sh is not anywhere in my file system but in the svn checkout
build directory. This directory is empty /usr/lib/flext but this file
does exist /usr/lib/libflext-pd.so

Nice that i almost managed to get it done, but there should be a way to
make this process simpler

Some ideas about the process:

  i dont think this explanation in the docs could be a bit more elaborated
"From a shell run
bash ../flext/build.sh
(you would have to substitute ../flext with the respective path to the
flext package)"
i know it is stupid but it took me few minutes to realise i need to run
that script from the main folder of the code i want to compile. Also it
would be nice to have a description of the compilation flags. I know
this is printed by the script itself, but it is nice to know things
before they happen.

It would be also nice not to have to find and edit the paths to all the
libraries (STK, SndObj), this is quite confusing specially because some
files names are not lowecase so initially i did not find them until i
noticed it (sndobj.h was SndObj.h). But i guess this has to do with the
autobuild you mentioned in your mail.

thanks.

enrike

Thomas Grill(e)k dio: