[PD] Open alternative to RJDJ?

Derek Holzer derek at umatic.nl
Wed Dec 3 13:15:15 CET 2008

I'm gathering information currently for a potential exhibition involving
mobile sound devices for 2010. My criteria are as follows:

1) Gathering and processing of environmental sounds
2) Open source software and open and/or accessible hardware
3) Doesn't make only techno music! ;-)

and optional:

4) User's location and/or movement become processing criteria
5) Ability to network with other devices to share sounds and information

The RJDJ project sounds like it fits the first and fourth, I don't know
about the others. I agree with several of the posters on this list who
were suspicious of a project using free software but geared only towards
expensive hardware like iPhones. But I don't want to totally discredit
the momentum that's gone into this project. So my questions are:

1) Can RJDJ "scenes" run on other platforms (Palm, iPaq, Gumstix, Linux
iPod, whatever?)
2) Is anyone working on an RJDJ-like/compatible platform which is
actually open and accessible?

I will drop by the Berlin RJDJ sprint with these kind of questions in
mind in case anyone wants to discuss them in person.

best!
Derek

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl ::: http://blog.myspace.com/macumbista