[PD] how to optimize system for pd performance?

Tim Blechmann tim at klingt.org
Sun Dec 7 20:43:34 CET 2008

>> i encountered, that 'ondemand' cpu scaling doesn't work correctly when
>> running pd with realtime priority. even if pd is using 80% or more
>> resources (of one core), the cpu frequency is not raised and staying at
>> 800MHz. i can force it to go up by running an instance of 'burnMMX' (or
>> something else, that burns as many cycles as possible). when running pd
>> with '-nrt', automatic scaling works fine. also, as a workaround, i can
>> set the scaling_governor to 'userspace' and then set the cpu frequency
>> manually.
>
> I don't remember being hit by this, but my memory may trick me. I'd use
> cpufreq-set(1) as root to switch the scaling governor to "performance"
> when performing.

i usually set the cpu speed to the lowest feasible frequency ... the
slower the cpu, the cooler the computer, so less audible noise is
produced by the cpu fan during the performance ...
using gnome's cpufreq-applet, one can change the scaling governor/
frequency with two mouse clicks ...

tim at klingt.org
http://tim.klingt.org

Who need fossil fuel when the sun ain't goin' nowhere
  Amiri Baraka