[PD] pd extended, usb midi device problem

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Dec 23 22:22:34 CET 2008

Hallo,
atuc hat gesagt: // atuc wrote:

> i have a problem with my m-audio uc-33 usb midi controller, i use ubuntu
> 8.10,
>
> with this pd version, the controller does not work:
>
> http://pd.ianagnostopoulos.postgrad.shef.ac.uk/pd-extended_0.40.3-intrepid6_i386.deb
>

> i use my self compiled pd version (Pd version 0.41.0), with this, it
> works without problems as alsa-midi controller.

Try to start pd-ext like this:

pd -alsamidi

or use the MIDI settings menu to select the ALSA midi mode. If
Pd-ext doesn't want to start the ALSA midi mode, then that version
probably is compiled without ALSA midi support. That would be a bug that
can only be fixed by recompiling.

Using the rawmidi devices should work as well in general, but maybe you
have to load some additional modules (snd_rawmidi, snd-seq-oss, or so).
Also Pd's way of specifiying device numbers is a bit strange. Maybe this
still is helpful: http://footils.org/cms/show/24 (generally it's
outdated, though)

Ciao
--