[PD] a flawed Gem (Was: Re: pdp/pidip on win32?)

John Harrison john.harrison at alum.mit.edu
Mon Dec 29 05:30:38 CET 2008

As promised, here's a couple of patches to show a few of my concerns
about Gem. Interestingly, after creating the patches on the target
machine, I tried the same patches on my laptop and got slightly better
results (recording suddenly started working again and I was able to
avoid one referenced segfault in the patch. I made a note of both of
these changes inside the patch.)

I'd love to get these concerns addressed and would like to help to
accomplish this in whatever would be most effective. It would be amazing
to really get this tool ready for artists ready to explore this medium
in the classes I teach.

I built these patches on ubuntu 8.10 32 bit on Pd-extended 0.40.3 with
video card referred to by lspci as nVidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
(a2). You'll need a firewire video capture device to try them. The
patches also create and reference a recorded video file: /tmp/test.mov.
Perhaps the name would need to be changed if trying on OSX or Windows.

This is just a start on some of the problems I have had. If it is
helpful I can provide more feedback like this.

Thanks,

-John