[PD] left mouse click abuse

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Mon Jan 5 14:27:21 CET 2009

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 13:40:59 +0100
"Lukasz Jastrzebski" <luke.jastrzebski at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think the ctrl + 1 (2, 3...) shortcut not so good way. And I don't
> see any reason not to make inserting objects (or text in objects) more
> intuitive, usable, ergonomic. Not only this is an unpleasant
> two-fingered combination, but also you have to be careful both with
> typing and clicking at one time.

Depends on how big your hands are. My span (Keyboard player)
makes up to CTRL+6 comfortable, but 7, 8, 9 and 0 are painful.
Espacially after certain other key sequences that leave the thumb
away from home position.

It's good to see this being discussed in a more international
context, I also found great problems with AWERTY keyboards in
Poitiers recently, I don't know how the Belgiums and French
suffer such torture with some frequent key combos.

> How about using F-keys (if any)? or num block?

These can be awkward from a programming POV and have reserved
functions in some OS setups. For reasons you elaborate on yourself
I think it's best to use the minimal laptop keyboard as as a
model.

In the end, the best solution may be a user configurable key bindings
file, with fallback to defaults.

On the whole I have grown used to Pd GUI and like it.

As an aside, a slightly OT observation (that we can't really
do anything about) is the large number of students who have
a problem finding the tilde key. One guy who has a German MacBook
needed to ask on forums for a long time before someone told him
the magic key combo to get tilde (crazy Apple thoughtlessness).

--
Use the source