[PD] reusable snippets with key commands WAS: left mouse click abuse

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 10:33:21 CET 2009

Luke Iannini wrote:

>>> don't know if anyone here wants to hear about it, but this is exactly
>>> what the clippings folder in maxmsp is used for.
>>> the user can save little (or big) code snippets there as regular
>>> patch files. then you can access the patches through a context menu
>>> and paste the code snippets into any new patches you are working on.
>>> ok, no key-shortcuts yet, but those could be added easily i suppose.
>>> very handy feature in my opinion.
>>> volker.
>
> Yo, just for the sake of discussion, the [templater] object I released
> last month is one implementation of this "snippets" idea.
> See here:
> http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2008-12/066854.html
>
> (also, some of the stuff being requested like canvas object counts
> etc. can be found in IOhannes's iemguts).
> Best
> Luke

Hi Luke,

I did not read the pd list during the last 3 months, sorry. but that is
what I was looking for! this really gives a lot of opportunities.

which leads me to more questions:

Is there a way to tell, which objects (by object count) are selected in
a patch? and a way to query the content of an object by object count?
and can I select (mark blue) an object in the patch by object count?

for the snipplets, I think, if you add a snipplet to your canvas, it
should be selected by default, so that you can easily undo the paste.
and I also like the idea of cycling through a set of snipplets with the
same key combination. that way you don't have to remember so many
keyboard commands. it is more like using a dictionary for text messaging
on the phone. one key cycles through all the possible words with a
certain letter combination. in Pd it would cycle depending on the
object(s) you select, or just some standard clippings.

marius.