[PD] Seamless recording of 2 consecutive audio files?

Peter Plessas plessas at mur.at
Tue Jan 6 23:59:18 CET 2009

Hi all,

Roman Haefeli wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-01-06 at 13:43 +0100, Peter Plessas wrote:
>> Dear Frank, List
>>
>> thanks for that help! Yes indeed it works and i have been able of doing
>> it with less objects and the help of bang~ as well.
>> There is one thing i still don't get:
>> I always thought pd would try to execute non-signal messages inbetween
>> audio blocks. And for two messages this would be the same interval
>> unless Pd had too many messages to calculate and defers them after the
>> next audio block. But the writesf~ example shows that this is not
>> necessarily the case.
>
> i am sorry for being too lazy to test myself, butwhat is the actual
> result of this? does [writesf~] start recording between block
> boundaries? or does it stop recording between boundaries? or is there
> another reason for being forced to use [bang~]?
>
> i somehow assumed, that [writesf~] doesn't use scheduled messages...

I always thought that Pd would execute messages in between audio blocks.
So if i sent two messages (stop old file, start new file), i expected
them to happen in a gap between two blocks, hence gapless recorded files
possible. Franks demonstration shows that i have to explicitly time
those messages according to a block~ (or equivalent) in order to get
this behavior. Still all blurry to me, let's look on!

regards, PP