[PD] logical timing question

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Jan 11 11:03:06 CET 2009

Hallo,
Peter Plessas hat gesagt: // Peter Plessas wrote:

> i have a question regarding timing in Pd:
>
> I understand that messages to tilde objects just get passed to the DSP
> tree within DSP blocks.
>
> How about the reverse?
>
> Found out that snapshot~ is returning the last sample of the last block
> during which it got banged. This is fine, since it is the sample value
> most closely to the output of the result.
>
> Now when i use the following setup:
>
> [bang~]
> [t b b]
>   |   |
>   |   |
> [timer]
>
> i get a minimum logical time of 1.45 msec (aquivalent to 64samples at
> 44.1 kHz) even when i use a blocksize of [block~ 32].

I think, bang~ should bang after each block, so
with [block~ 32] it should bang every 32 samples. But it seems to have a
lower limit of 64 samples. Don't know why.

In general, Pd has like to times: One is the time realm of clock-delayed
messages, i.e. everything that originates in a clock objects like metro,
delay, pipe, qlist, etc. Clock delayed messages have sub-sample
accuracy. This is achieved by "tagging" each normal message with a time
tag, similar to the old time tagged triggers in t3_lib. The tags for
clocks are invisible, though.

To convert dsp signals to clock-delayed messages you must use
[vsnapshot~], but [snapshot~]. It will give you the value of a sample
even when bang'ed somewhere in the middle of a block.

Note that you cannot use this value to modify other samples during the
same block! Because when the message comes out of [vsnapshot~], this
block has already been calculated. So you can only start to use the
value to modify the next block's content.

Ciao
--
Frank