[PD] Pure data controling Videolan

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Tue Jan 13 21:00:16 CET 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 20:39 +0100, Arnaud Tanguy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Do you know a way to control VLC with Pure data?
>
> It seem to work by telnet but I'm a complete newbie for that.
> Somebody can help me?

you also can create network connections from puredata. there is
[netsend]/[netreceive] from vanilla, [netclient]/[netserver] from maxlib
and [tcpclient]/[tcpserver] from mrpeach.

since you want to have a bidirectional connection, you want to use
either [netclient] or [tcpclient]. [netclient] most likely doesn't work,
since it 'talks' the FUDI [1] language, which requires every message to
be terminated with a semicolon. [2] shows, that the messages coming from
VLC are _not_ terminated with a semicolon, so you wouldn't receive any
problem with this one is, that it wants to have the messages encoded as
numbers representing the ascii value of each character. also its output
consists of lists of numbers. in order to be able to read the responses
from VLC, you need to convert them to real characters. in
moocow/pdstring, there are two classes, that do this conversion for you:
[any2string] and [string2any]. with something like:

[any2string]

[tcpclient]

[string2any]

it might work. let us know, if you succeed.

[1] http://wiki.puredata.info/en/FUDI
[2] http://www.videolan.org/doc/vls-user-guide/en/ch05.html#id293358

roman