[PD] Pd, Arduino, and Multiple LED's == Installation?

Dafydd Hughes dafydd61 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 15:12:53 CET 2009

Hey Kyle

Sounds like a really cool project.

Are you sure you need any special hardware at all? You could use the
PWM out from the arduino and a transistor for each set of LEDs you
want to control then build an array. A friend just showed me this
ridiculously cool site: http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

I'm talking like I've done this before, but really I'm only part way
through a similar process, so maybe it's all totally wrong:) Anyway,
hope it helps.

cheers
dafydd

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 12:01 AM, Kyle Klipowicz <kyleklip at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Listers~
>
> I'm working on an art gallery installation and I want to use Pd to control
> some high-powered LED's via an Arduino unit.
>
> The breakdown is this: I need to create a series of RGB LED's that will
> provide accent illumination to the gallery space, and shifts from red to
> blue over a course of 6 weeks. The program isn't very difficult to write.
> I've already decided to link it to the system date/time so that the
> installation can be powered down easily at night. What's tricky is knowing
> what hardware to use and how to get it together. I am going to want between
> 25-100 lights at minimum, possibly more.
>
> I've looked at a few sites and links already, especially the Arduino site.
> They have some things related to DMX lights, and this is something I've seen
> a bit on the list as well. I don't know if this is a good solution or if it
> is overkill for what I want to do.
>
> One piece of hardware that seems promising is the ShiftBrite
> (http://www.macetech.com/blog/node/54). Does anyone know about this?
>
> I know this might  be considered off-topic, but I'd really appreciate it if
> any seasoned veterans could throw me some tips. I'll be exploring other
> areas, but I know there are some honed brains skimming these emails so maybe
> they can drop some science on me.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> ~Kyle
>
> --