[PD] request for objections: any2string -> unsigned char

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Jan 15 16:33:03 CET 2009

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009, Bryan Jurish wrote:

> Would anyone object if the [any2string] semantics were changed so that
> only "unsigned char" values in the range (0..255) get output, rather
> than (as is currently the case) "signed char" values in the range
> (-128..127)?

I would object, as I expect to be able to put values in the range 0 to
1114111, or at the very least the range of Unicode that people would
use... 65535 is probably not enough. I'd recommend storing strings as
either UCS-4 or UTF-8, but in the latter case you have variable number of
bytes to take care of. Internally, I believe that UCS-4 (32-bit encoding)
is full good, as Pd's lists of floats are gonna be encoded over 64-bits or
128-bits anyway (wasting nearly half or 3/4 of the bits depending on
whether you have a 32-bit or 64-bit OS/mode).

What's important to me is that the Pd user does not struggle with making
pd interpret UTF-8 variable-length encoding, and instead struggles with
making pd work with lists of characters, which is already enough work
anyway. I like that [list length] gives me the number of characters and
not the number of bytes, because the latter is rarely significant.