[PD] issues installing pd-ext on ubuntu intrepid 868

João Pais jmmmpais at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 15 17:38:35 CET 2009

> There are lots of docs for all this stuff here:
> http://puredata.info/docs/developer

yes, but a bit too many (and none is called "how to sucessfully compile
pd-ext in intrepid 64b").

I installed the hundreds of Mbs of packages described in
http://puredata.info/docs/developer/Debian (Intrepid 64b here).
After I went to http://puredata.info/docs/developer/GettingPdSource and
tried the rsync -av --delete rsync://128.238.56.50/distros/pd-extended/
pd-extended/ thing, which didn't do much more than nothing else after
downloading 100Kb of data.

Anyway I don't know if it should be necessary to mirror the whole cvs,
neither am I interested in keeping that around. Shouldn't it be enough to
download one of the night builds? I'm also not interested in building a
.deb installation file, just want to put pd in my system.

I went again to the src folder of the latest nightbuild
(http://autobuild.puredata.info/auto-build/2009-01-15/pd-2009-01-15-linux-ubuntu-intrepid-i386-i686.tar.bz2),
and did the ./configure + sudo make install ritual. After installing and
tried to run pd, the result is - surprisingly (or not...) - the same as
before: "error while loading shared libraries: libtk8.4.so.0: cannot open
shared object file: No such file or directory".

[a note: as the final result is the same, maybe it wasn't really necessary
to install all the packages described before. at least I didn't notice any
difference during the make/install process]

In case it's important to look at the results of what I just described,
they're in http://pastebin.com/m43402a32.