[PD] issues installing pd-ext on ubuntu intrepid 868

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Jan 15 22:57:10 CET 2009

On Jan 15, 2009, at 9:38 AM, João Pais wrote:

>> There are lots of docs for all this stuff here:
>> http://puredata.info/docs/developer
>
> yes, but a bit too many (and none is called "how to sucessfully
> compile pd-ext in intrepid 64b").
>
> I installed the hundreds of Mbs of packages described in http://puredata.info/docs/developer/Debian
>  (Intrepid 64b here).
> After I went to http://puredata.info/docs/developer/GettingPdSource
> and tried the rsync -av --delete rsync://128.238.56.50/distros/pd-
> extended/ pd-extended/ thing, which didn't do much more than nothing
> else after downloading 100Kb of data.
>
> Anyway I don't know if it should be necessary to mirror the whole
> cvs, neither am I interested in keeping that around. Shouldn't it be
> enough to download one of the night builds? I'm also not interested
> in building a .deb installation file, just want to put pd in my
> system.
>
> I went again to the src folder of the latest nightbuild (http://autobuild.puredata.info/auto-build/2009-01-15/pd-2009-01-15-linux-ubuntu-intrepid-i386-i686.tar.bz2
> ), and did the ./configure + sudo make install ritual. After
> installing and tried to run pd, the result is - surprisingly (or
> not...) - the same as before: "error while loading shared libraries:
> libtk8.4.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory".

That means that you don't have Tk 8.4 installed.  Perhaps you missed a
line in the instructions?

http://puredata.info/docs/developer/Debian

Something like:

sudo aptitude install  ttf-bitstream-vera tcl8.4 tcl8.4-dev tk8.4
tk8.4-dev

.hc

> [a note: as the final result is the same, maybe it wasn't really
> necessary to install all the packages described before. at least I
> didn't notice any difference during the make/install process]
>
> In case it's important to look at the results of what I just
> described, they're in http://pastebin.com/m43402a32.
>

>> INSTALL.txt is only easily modifyable by Miller, since it is part of
>> pd-vanilla.  That chunk of the website is a wiki, so anyone can
>> contribute.
>>
>> Also, Pd-extended 0.40.3 doesn't work well with Tcl/Tk 8.5, there are
>> some display issues.  So stick with tcl84 for Pd-extended for now.
>> Part of the current pd-devel effort is to make things work well on
>> Tcl
>> 8.5.

I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during
that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big
Business, for Wall Street and the bankers.      - General Smedley Butler