[PD] Pd, Arduino, and Multiple LED's == Installation?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Jan 15 23:09:44 CET 2009

Ayah Bdeir used an Arduino with a custom Firmata firmware to run a
shift register and a matrix of LEDs.  The code and the circuit is here:

http://www.makingthingsmove.org/blog/

A little bit of work needs to be done to add shift register support to
the Pd side of Firmata (Pduino), but I'd be happy to do it if you'll
use it.  Its already on my todo list.

.hc

On Jan 14, 2009, at 10:01 PM, Kyle Klipowicz wrote:

> Hello Listers~
>
> I'm working on an art gallery installation and I want to use Pd to
> control some high-powered LED's via an Arduino unit.
>
> The breakdown is this: I need to create a series of RGB LED's that
> will provide accent illumination to the gallery space, and shifts
> from red to blue over a course of 6 weeks. The program isn't very
> difficult to write. I've already decided to link it to the system
> date/time so that the installation can be powered down easily at
> night. What's tricky is knowing what hardware to use and how to get
> it together. I am going to want between 25-100 lights at minimum,
> possibly more.
>
> I've looked at a few sites and links already, especially the Arduino
> site. They have some things related to DMX lights, and this is
> something I've seen a bit on the list as well. I don't know if this
> is a good solution or if it is overkill for what I want to do.
>
> One piece of hardware that seems promising is the ShiftBrite (http://www.macetech.com/blog/node/54
> ). Does anyone know about this?
>
> I know this might  be considered off-topic, but I'd really
> appreciate it if any seasoned veterans could throw me some tips.
> I'll be exploring other areas, but I know there are some honed
> brains skimming these emails so maybe they can drop some science on
> me.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> ~Kyle
>
> --
> -----

Using ReBirth is like trying to play an 808 with a long stick.    -
David Zicarelli