[PD] Seamless playback of two audio files?

Florian Hollerweger flo at mur.at
Sat Jan 17 17:53:28 CET 2009

Hi list,

A while ago, we have been discussing seamless (i.e. click-free)
recordings of two consecutive audio files using [writesf~]. For the
record, let me summarize that seamless recording of two files is
generally possible, also _without_ delaying the start/stop messages to
the next block boundary through [bang~]. However, it fails for 24 bit
files, the reason for which seems to be yet unknown.

Now, I have a question regarding seamless _playback_ of two files (which
I know have been recorded seamlessly):

When I use the right outlet of my first [readsf~] to trigger playback of
the second file, I get a gap of exactly one block (i.e. 64 samples using
Pd's block size).

The only hack I can think of so far is to use two [readsf~] objects for
the first file: one for playback, which is delayed by 64 samples using
zexy's [z~], and another (undelayed) one for the bang at the right
outlet. The obvious drawbacks are the introduction of a one-block delay,
and the overhead created by the additional [readsf~] object.

Does anybody have a different idea of how seamless playback of two files
could be achieved in Pd?

Thanks for your contributions,
flo.H