[PD] request for objections: any2string -> unsigned char

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Jan 19 05:39:09 CET 2009

On Jan 17, 2009, at 5:37 AM, Bryan Jurish wrote:

> morning all,
>
> On 2009-01-15 22:51:14, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org>
> appears to
> have written:
>> As for the simple question of unsigned versus signed for
>> any2string, I
>> have never heard of using negative values for chars, so it makes
>> perfect
>> sense to me to use 0-255.  That'll will give at least the full latin
>> charset.
>
> OK.  I guess I'll make unsigned values the default for [any2string]
> then, postponing the issue of name change to [any2bytes] rsp.
> [bytes2any] to a hypothetical future in which the "string" suffix
> implies unicode or other non-byte-oriented representation.

Well, C considers a collection of 0-127 values a string.  I think most
programming languages would call an collection of 8-bit ASCII bytes a
string.  I think "string" makes more sense than "bytes" here.

.hc

> marmosets,
> 	Bryan
>
> --
> Bryan Jurish                           "There is *always* one more
> bug."
> jurish at ling.uni-potsdam.de      -Lubarsky's Law of Cybernetic
> Entomology

realize his wishes.  Now that he can realize them, he must either
change them, or perish.    -William Carlos Williams