[PD] max for live

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Jan 19 05:46:03 CET 2009

What I'd like to see is interfaces like Live implemented in Pd.  Pd
already has all of the audio tools, what it is missing is the GUI
toolkit.  One of my goals with pd-devel and tkwidgets is first, to
make some good widgets, and second, to make it easier for people to
code intricate GUI widgets for Pd.

TkZinc would be a great base for such a thing, since it allows you to
run the GUI code with OpenGL.

.hc

On Jan 16, 2009, at 12:19 PM, Kyle Klipowicz wrote:

> Yep, I tried suggesting Pd/Live integration a year or two back on
> the Ableton wishlist forum. Looks like there are more Max users out
> there... Also, working with a company is probably easier and more
> reliable than a loose collective in terms of implementing business
> objectives.
>
> I'm curious about Max for Live, and also how much it will cost. I do
> adore Live and use it daily.
>
> ~Kyle
>
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Andrew Turley <aturley at acm.org>
> wrote:
> I think the nicest thing about the Live/Max integration is that you
> can distribute patches without have to tell people to install all
> kinds of other software. Removing a few steps drastically lowers the
> threshold for getting people to try it.
>
> andy
>
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 8:35 AM, Alex <x37v.alex at gmail.com> wrote:
> > As Live is proprietary software, and they have already embedded
> Max, I
> > don't see how PD could get into it... though PD can be used in
> > parallel to Live, sending midi [and I assume audio?.. using Jack or
> > soundflower or something?]
> >
> > PD can also be used as a vst [though I've never done it, being a
> Linux
> > only user, and preferring to work directly in PD]:
> > http://crca.ucsd.edu/~jsarlo/pdvst/
> >
> > Besides the inline editing [inside Live], I haven't thought of a
> real
> > example that cannot be done with PD along-side of Live.. though,
> it is
> > not as slick..
> >
> > -Alex
> >
> > On 1/16/09, harris_pilton at gmx.de <harris_pilton at gmx.de> wrote:
> >> hi guys,
> >>
> >>  i was just wondering why you guys dont do this max for live
> thing that
> >>  was announced? i guess there will be no way that pd will be
> >>  implemented in live like that? but maybe someone in the list has
> ideas
> >>  to work around that?
> >>
> >>  for the ones who dont know what i'm talking about; it's pretty
> much
> >>  this:  ableton.com/extend

> --
> -----

realize his wishes.  Now that he can realize them, he must either
change them, or perish.    -William Carlos Williams