[PD] Gem in WinXP displaying 8 bit color resolution

John Harrison john.harrison at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jan 20 01:33:41 CET 2009

Gem in WinXP seems to be working ok but shows all video in what looks to
me like 8 bit color resolution. This is the case whether using
|pix_video| with a webcam or using |pix_film| with an avi. Other movie
players and capturing applications appear to be showing in video 24 or
32 bit  color resolution. Anybody know why this might be case or what I
might try? Changing the colorspace of |pix video| doesn't help, and even
the Grey colorspace looks pretty bad --- like there's only 4 bits of
Grey resolution or something...

Probably unrelated: I'm getting an "invalid enumerant" error in the
console for each rendering cycle. I am texturing onto a rectangle ---
when I texture to something other than a rectangle the problem goes away
(although the 8 bit color resolution problem remains.) However if I send
|mode 0( to |pix_texture|, the problem does not go away.  Both these
ideas were suggested in earlier threads on this list about this problem.

ATI Radeon Mobility 7500 card
Pentium 4
Gem-0.91.2
Pd-extended 0.40-3