[PD] Epoch time ...

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Jan 23 15:52:24 CET 2009

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> the problem with a real epoch time is, that Pd cannot handle it as a
> number (due to restrictions of 32bit float which is Pd's internal
> numeric format), so it would have to be a symbol, which actually limits
> the usefulness to generating UID.

Any number can be split in a way that two or more numbers will express the
same. For something "naturally fixed-point" as those time values are, you
could divide by 10000 or 100000 or 1000000 and transmit both the result
and reminder. For the particular case of long spans of time in seconds,
you may find that 86400 is a good divisor, for babylonian reasons. That's
the divisor I use in my external [unix_time].

Granted it would be easier if we had just the same int32 type that jMax
had. I still miss it... I mean int32, not jMax.