[PD] d_fat vs. pd_darwin (was Re: Gem 0.91-2 bugfix release)

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Mon Jan 26 10:04:38 CET 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 09:26 +0100, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> > On Jan 22, 2009, at 2:39 PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> >

> > I wasn't saying anything about GNU/Linux or Windows.  I was talking
> > Mac OS X.  .pd_darwin is all that is needed.  .d_fat, etc cause more
> > troubles than the fix.
>
> but i was talking about architectures _and_ platforms (the later being
> freebsd, linux, irix, windows, darwin, ...)
>
> i would like to see a naming convention that is valid on all these
> platforms and where i can have files live side by side on a network
> share. (e.g. .so is bad because i cannot distinguish between linux/i386,
> linux/ppc, linux/x86_64 and eventually osx/fat.

hi all

let me drop my two cents here: i would like to emphasize IOhannes' point
here, since i have been a few times in a situation with a group of
people using different platforms, where a naming convention respecting
platform and architecture would have been helpful. i mean, there is a
real practical use in finding such a convention, whereas there seem to
be only theoretical reasons for keeping the existing suffixes.

roman