[PD] Why I don't like the new automagic

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Jan 28 02:47:06 CET 2009

I think there is a ton of potential to the ideas in desiredata and
things like the new editing tricks in pd-vanilla 0.42.  But they also
have the large potential to cause harm to peoples' workflow.  I hope
that this experience doesn't scare people off from experimenting with
ideas for improving the editing environment.

That said, I think it is crucial to approach this in an open-ended
manner with lots of people doing a wide range of experimentation.
This is a central reason why I am involved in rewriting the GUI from
scratch for pd-devel.   I want to make Pd's GUI easy to modify and
extend.  That way we each person can add their own tricks and over
time we'll figure out a grand scheme for how this should be
incorporated into the main distros.

So on that note, I would like to encourage people to get involved with
pd-devel.  I just set up nightly builds, so it should be much easier
to try it out. There isn't a lot to see yet, unless you know the
codebase well (the GUI is pure Tcl now, but still rough).  But soon
we'll be at the place were it'll be easy to build on top off.  Right
now, the next big step that needs to happen is that the various panels
need to be tackled (Pd window, find, send message, preferences, etc.)

.hc