[PD] [Pd][Windows] Handling Paths and Visual Enhancements

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Jan 28 23:11:55 CET 2009

On Jan 28, 2009, at 5:19 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Ray Rashif wrote:
>> Smashing day
>> == Part 1 ==
>> I'm trying to do some user-interaction and would like to use
>> variables for
>> handling filepaths. I understand this may not be a problem with
>> Linux/Mac as
>> we can use ~/ for the user's home directory. What would be the
>> Windows
>> equivalent of that? I'd also like to know how to handle Windows
>> paths in
>> general with Pd as the backslash is not recognised.
>

> afaik, Pd-extended has support for this (at least you should be able
> to use "~" and "$HOME" (or was it %HOME%?) to access your home-
> directory.

~ should work on Windows too, or %UserProfile%

>> == Part 2 ==
>> Look at the screenshots at
>> http://digital.music.cornell.edu/kevinernste/tutorial_3_audio_input_and_recording
>> Is that a Mac-specific look or could we patch the latest version to
>> look
>> like that?
>
> this is how Pd-extended looks like on all platforms.

Not quite.  That is Pd-extended using an old version of Tcl/Tk so that
the anti-aliasing is super fuzzy.  If you are using Pd-extended with
the embedded version of Tcl/Tk, or you turn off the anti-aliasing, it
is not fuzzy like that.

"[T]he greatest purveyor of violence in the world today [is] my own
government." - Martin Luther King, Jr.