[PD] max for live

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Jan 29 21:19:48 CET 2009

How much have you used Ardour+Jack+Pd+soft synths?  It is structured
very differently that Ableton Live, but I think that is actually quite
competitive in terms of what you can do with it.  It is a different
system that requires as much learning as Live does.

You have been able to run Pd patches in tight sync with Ardour and a
multitude of soft synths for years now.  You just don't have nifty
little embeddedness.  So this really seems to me more a classic
example of the core innovation happening in free software, then
proprietary software taking the ideas and packaging them really
nicely, and promoting them a lot.  (I am not saying this is a bad
thing).

The iPhone is the classic version of that.  The App Store is nice,
you've been able to do that on Linux-based devices since the late
nineties, but mostly with a command line interface.

.hc

On Jan 29, 2009, at 11:27 AM, Kyle Klipowicz wrote:

> Live is not garbage. Incremental improvement != planned
> obsolescence. Making software for a business is not a sin. You get
> what you pay for.
>
> Open source is great. I appreciate everything that Pd and it's users
> stand for. However, trolling about a DAW when the free alternatives
> are 5 years back in the dust in terms of optimization, ease of use,
> and plain crash-resistance is just silly.
>
> Some people prefer to make music, not software. Some people prefer
> to make software, not music. Some people prefer to make software AND
> music. Some people make great music software but horrible music.
> Some people make great music but crummy software.
>
> ~Kyle
>

> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 2:57 AM, day five <day5ive at gmail.com> wrote:
> Live is garbage and so is their planned obsolescence business model...
> what are they at version 56 by now?
>
> Now if they could embed jMax as a VST _then_ I'd be impressed.
>

> ./d5

> --
> -----

                             kill your television