[PD] multiple undo ctrl-z

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Feb 1 06:01:59 CET 2009

One thing I like about Emacs a lot is that it remembers the undo/redo
states across saves.  I think that saving should not wipe out the undo
possibilities.  Didn't Photoshop go back to single undo?  I think they
replaced multiple undo with a sort of editable history log.  I think
that would be even better than multiple undo.

.hc

On Jan 31, 2009, at 11:57 AM, Kyle Klipowicz wrote:

> I know that the Ableton programmers have joked about the challenges
> of designing their endless undo system. I am guessing that it relies
> upon keeping track of every change between state saves, since they
> also have a nifty feature that will rescue unsaved changes if the
> system crashes for some reason. This is stored in a temporary file
> location specified in the preferences menu of the program.
>
> So basically the multiple undo system would have to keep a running
> log in some temporary file, documenting each state change in the
> software. Beyond me, but I agree that this feature is much-desired!
>
> ~Kyle
>
> On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 10:04 AM, Mathieu Bouchard
> <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Jan 2009, Enrique Erne wrote:
>
> there has been many good ideas about usability features, so here
> come my most beloved ones: multiple undo be a great improvement.
> would that be difficult?
>
> When I originally harassed Miller so that he implements undo, I
> thought he'd go for multiple undo. Instead, he went for single.
> Basically there's not much more you have to do to get multiple undo
> if the single undo was done "right", but that means "if the single
> undo has been implemented with a future multiple undo in mind". The
> undo-system is one of the rare parts of pd source-code that I
> haven't read, because I wanted to reimplement it from scratch
> anyway. So I can't really tell you right away whether Miller's
> system could be adapted or not.
>
> My own multiple-undo code doesn't really work well, but that's not
> because it's multiple, it's because it's implemented in the client
> instead, and there were too many things that had to be changed in
> the server to get that working, and I have other excuses as well ;)

> | Mathieu Bouchard - tél:+1.514.383.3801, Montréal, Québec
>

> --
> -----

scarcity."        -John Gilmore