[PD] here I go again..dynamic abstractions

Rory Walsh rorywalsh at ear.ie
Thu Feb 5 18:46:57 CET 2009

I keep running into problem with an abstraction I'm trying to
implement. Let me first explain what I'm trying to do. I have an
abstraction that has 16 tgls in a row. These are graphed on parent so
they they can be altered from the main patch. When a user clicks on of
the tgls it changes colour. This was all going fine until I created
another instance of the same abstraction and found that clicking one
of the tgls in one abstraction caused the other ones to change colour.
This seems reasonable as they all share the same receive symbols. Then
I set about having each tgls receive symbol change on instantiation.
This too seemed to be working fine until I opened the whole patch
again and found that the GUI objects most recent receive symbol is
saved to them so every time I change one and close the patch I need to
know what it was in order to change it dynamically on the next
startup. I could simply hard code each abstraction but I may need up
to thirty of them in one patch so this seems a little futile. There
must a way of doing it? I've attached the a basic version of the
abstraction. All you need to do is to instantiate it and pass a number
box to it. It will work fine with many instances but as soon as I save
and close Pd crashes the next time I save the parent patch. As I'm
only getting back into Pd I'm sure I've implemented it badly. Perhaps
someone could offer some advise on how to achieve what I want. Thanks
for your patience with this.

regards,
Rory.