[PD] Creating a basic oscillator from first principles?

Geoff geoffspuredata at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 7 20:43:37 CET 2009

Thanks Frank this all makes sense up to

> Note that you need to use a kind of "fmod" for floating point numbers
> here, i.e. replace the "%" with a calculation to get the fractional
> part:
>
>  fractional part of f = f - int(f)
>
> Also add an additional 1 if you deal with negative numbers.

I can see from experimenting in PD that % doesn't want to behave the
same for decimal numbers.
i.e. if I set % to 1 and increment (x[n] + 1/100) % 1
nothing happens
so I need some sort of fmod to deal with the fact that now the values
I am generating range from 0 to 1 in 0.01 increments.

could you expand on

fractional part of f = f - int(f)

i.e. because I need to limit things to 1 the % 1 is not going to work
so I need a different function that will do the same thing for
decimals limited to 1.

how would I approach that in PD?

Thanks for the input
geoff