[PD] here I go again..dynamic abstractions

Phil Stone pkstone at ucdavis.edu
Tue Feb 10 18:30:40 CET 2009

Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Mathieu Bouchard hat gesagt: // Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>

>> On Sat, 7 Feb 2009, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>>

>>> Messages don't have anything comparable to the canvas' $0.

I missed this the first time it went by, and I think it's central to
(my) confusion about this...

Messages don't have anything comparable to the canvas' $0, but *message
boxes do*!  Why, therefore, is $0 not valid in a message box (as a way
of embedding the canvas-identifier into a message), and further, why are
people going so far as to suggest new, orthogonal meanings for $0 in a
message box?  Please, don't do this; it would only make the situation
much more confusing!

Arrgh!

Phil