[PD] adding to file searchpath on pd-extended broken on OS 10.4?

John Harrison johnharrisonwsu at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 16:21:42 CET 2009

I wanted to add to the file searchpath for Pd-extended so I went to Prefs ->
Path... and chose "new". From there I get a dialog box and am able to choose
the path I wish to add. All good so far.

But when I click "apply" after adding the path I get some hesitation, then:
error:
+/Applications/Pd-0.41.4-extended-20090126.app/Contents/Resources/extra/hcs:
no such object
error:
+/Applications/Pd-0.41.4-extended-20090126.app/Contents/Resources/extra/hcs:
no such object

in the Pd console. The path does not seem to be added and if I restart Pd,
the path I added is not on the list of paths. This is the case for the
released Pd-extended 0.40-3 as well as the nightly builds of 0.41.4 for OS X
10.4 Intel.

Even if I had added the path, though it probably wouldn't have solved my
problem: I was trying to find a platform-independent (at least for OS X and
Linux) way for pd to find gverb using |plugin~|. On OS X from the terminal
if I do:
export LADSPA_PATH=/Applications/audacity/plug-ins
open Pd-0.41.4-extended-20090126.app
then |plugin~| finds gverb successfully. But I wanted to find a way to
extend the LADSPA_PATH ideally from a Pd patch itself or, short of this,
without having to go to the terminal to start Pd. Of course the location of
gverb is different between Linux and OS X and what I'm looking for is an
easy way for |plugin~| in Pd to find gverb on either platform. Ideas?

Thanks,

-John