[PD] data-struct: (x:y) & move object

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 18 11:03:56 CET 2009

--- On Wed, 2/18/09, João Pais <jmmmpais at googlemail.com> wrote:

> From: João Pais <jmmmpais at googlemail.com>
> Subject: Re: [PD] data-struct: (x:y) & move object
> To: jancsika at yahoo.com, "Frank Barknecht" <fbar at footils.org>, pd-list at iem.at
> Date: Wednesday, February 18, 2009, 2:03 AM
> > In one of your tutorials, you asked about the
> "sort" message.  Have a look at 07.sequencer.pd.
> If you open the synthesis subpatch, you'll see that
> pd-data is sent a sort message before sequencing.  This
> sorts the data so that the left-to-right order of the
> graphical objects on the screen reflects the order in which
> they will be traversed.  In this case it's a way of
> ensuring that the sounds "match" the visuals.
>
> did I? sorry, I didn't know. it was clear for me what
> sort is.

In your first tutorial, step 8, you have the question about sort: "How is it useful?"  But now I see I missed your definition of its behavior earlier in the patch.  Anyhow, the sequencer help patch shows a practical use for the sort message.

> > As far as undocumented features, I don't know, but
> I just noticed there's a typo in the release notes:
> > "A "sendwindow" message forwards any
> message to the window contining the scalar currently pointed
> to."
> >
> > It's actually send-window (with a hyphen).
> > [send-window vis 1(
> > |
> > [pointer]
>
> where did you find that information? I was looking for that
> file, and couldn't find it in pd-ext or pd-van. or is it
> only on svn or something?

It's part of the pd documentation (in doc/1.manual) that comes with pd-vanilla (and, I would assume, pd-ext): chapter 5.  Also check out section 2.9 on data structures if you haven't already.

-Jonathan