[PD] symbol anxiety

Phil Stone pkstone at ucdavis.edu
Mon Feb 23 00:28:33 CET 2009

Hi everybody,

Ever since I first started programming with Pd, I have had a vague
anxiety about symbols, or to be more exact, symbol table growth.  Now,
I've never run into a problem in real life, but the worry is still
there, nagging at me, ever since I read on a Pd-list thread that each
symbol takes up permanent, un-reclaimable space in a symbol table.  So,
I've always been wary about employing many symbols, or having some
dynamic process that creates many symbols on the fly.

Attached is [maketime], a lovely little timer/stopwatch.  I've long
since lost track of who made it, so I'm sorry can't give you
well-deserved credit here.  At any rate, it creates *at least* one
symbol per second (probably more, I'm not sure if each [makefilename]
generates a new symbol, but I'm guessing it does).  This makes me
nervous, as I have no idea what the symbol table capacity is, or how to
see how "full" it is.  It seems likely that this abstraction would crash
eventually.

A) Is it true that [maketime] would continually grow the symbol table?

B) Is it possible to tell how full the symbol table is?  How much memory
is allocated to it in the first place?

C) Wouldn't it be nice to have some truly transient symbols, that could
be abstraction-local, or at least, re-usable?

Cheers,

Phil Stone