[PD] Array that scrolls from right to left

Martin Schied crinimal at gmx.net
Tue Feb 24 18:02:07 CET 2009

Hi Sebastien,

> Sebastien Lelong hat gesagt: // Sebastien Lelong wrote:
>

>> I have one question though (not related to [trigger]). In your example, as
>> in Martin's, you use $0-a16 to name the array. I understand $0 is used when
>> building an abstraction and creating multiple instances of this abstraction.
>> My question is how can I configure this array, from the parent (from the
>> patch using the abstraction) ? For instance, I'd like to add "xticks",
>> "ylabel", etc... I usually use a message, like:
>> _________________
>> [array1 ylabel -1 0 1 (
>>
>> but the same with $0-a16 obsviously doesn't work, since $0 is not known (I
>> understand it's a counter incremented at each creation).

if there aren't too many of those arrays in your patch, probably Frank's
solution is far more simple and convenient.

another possibility would be using creation arguments as names. you
would then use $1-arrayname in an abstraction instead of $0-arrayname
which uses the first creation argument of the abstraction in your parent
patch. (so $2 stands for the second creation argument and so on)

if you create an object [myabstraction something]  in your parent patch
you can access the array's properties by sending for example

[ylabel -1 0 1(

[s something-arrayname]

or like you wrote before using
[; something-arrayname ylabel -1 0 1(]

also have a look at /doc/2.control.examples/14.dollarsigns.pd for more
stuff with dollar signs as creation arguments. (i found it kind of
confusing the first time, so perhaps better don't try too hard and have
a look later again)

notice that dollar signs in messages like

[$1 $2 (

are not the same as dollar signs from creation arguments. That's one
thing which can also seem strange when learning pd...

Just try the below to understand what dollar signs stand for in messages.

[one two three four(

[$2 $3 $1(

[print]

Dollar sings in messages like the above are not affected by creation
arguments, by default they return 0 (and an error message, just click on
the message [$2 $3 $1( directly to see that).

in the ppd_scroll abstraction you would have to change each $0-graph
into $3-graph (because $1 and $2 are already in use) and then create
instances of it like [ppd_scroll 10 1 myname] and send settings to
myname-graph then.

cheers,
Martin