[PD] Loading order of pd objects

Robert Gründler doobre at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 23:09:23 CET 2009

the problem i'm facing is the following:

i'm trying to write an extension to pd which allows people to create custom
gui objects that can communicate with the underlying pd patch.

So far i've a prototype where i use Gtk+ for the gui, and the communication
works fine so far.

But that's where the loading order of objects become important. First i
need to
create the canvas object in pd, and then i can create additional objects
which
add user interface objects inside the gtk canvas.

If i can't rely on a specific loading order in future implementations of
pd, a workaround
would be that a simple gtk gui widget would first check if there's a
canvas existing,
and if that's not the case, it needs to create one itself. But i'm not
sure if i can create pd
objects in a patch programmatically.

I'd also be glad about feedback from the pd community if such an
extension would be
considered useful in general.

best

-robert