[PD] [PD-dev] extremely fast pure pd [list-drip] (fwd)

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Feb 26 17:03:57 CET 2009

Hallo,
Mathieu Bouchard hat gesagt: // Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> Well, what do you want to do without [list length]? I say kill all the old
> versions of Pd.

Well, I included list length, so it will break on old Pd.

I don't follow Pd-extended and I don't remember when [list length] was
introduced and when it got fixed to count meta messages as lists neither
when settable sends were introduced and I didn't want to look it up so I
just played it a tiny bit save - as save ay my educated guesses took me.
Not safe. :)

> Instead of always looking after Pd 0.39, Why not look after Pd 0.43 ? I
> think that the explanation for why [list-drip-quick] is the way it is,
> should serve as an example of things that could be changed in Vanilla or
> added to Vanilla... as long as you consider Vanilla to be the reference.

To me, Vanilla is the reference, but being a bit considerated of others
didn't hurt here.

> I use font size 10 and they don't overlap and never have.

Okay, I took a closer look and here (vanilla, Linux, 0.41) the objects
that are next to each other share their right-left borders exactly. So
you're right, they don't overlap, but again, as the various GUI changes
of Pd-extended and probably those, that Miller is working on, lead to
varying box sizes across versions and platforms, I prefer to have a bit
more cushion around them in all [list]-abs.

> Well, in any case where the highest speed is appreciated and order is not
> important, reverse dripping is faster than forward dripping, with today's
> pd.

Ah, good you remind me of that: I'll add a note to the help files.

Ciao
--
Frank