[PD] show "used or free system memoy" from within pd-extended (Ubuntu 8.04) -nogui - is this possible?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Feb 27 16:35:59 CET 2009

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Feb 2009, Ingo Scherzinger wrote:
>
>> is it possible to show "used or free system memoy" from within pd-extended
>> (Ubuntu 8.04) -nogui. I need this because I'm working with a large sample
>> library and I'm getting close to the internal memory limit. Pd can't handle
>> going over the limit!
>
> In theory you could just read /proc/$$/stat using [textfile] and bang it to
> get its only line and pick up $23 from that list, but in practice, even with
> the cr option, I can't make [textfile] output a line of it, and I don't know
> anything that can tell you "$$" in pd, which is the process id that you see
> when you use the "ps" command in Linux/Bash.
>
> Replacing $23 by something else would get you other interesting info, from
> the same set that "ps" can tell you about, perhaps a bit more.

Sorry, I misread about the system memory, but I've always only had a use
for process memory so far, so I wrote about what I used to use. I also
used to have an external that did it for real, but it was written in Ruby,
so you can't really use that anymore (you could get an old GridFlow, but
it's better to rewrite it in another language; I'd rather have the
[textfile] solution fixed though).