[PD] pd and tcp: what to do against crashes?

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Mon Mar 2 01:38:45 CET 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 00:02 +0000, Claude Heiland-Allen wrote:
> Roman Haefeli wrote:
> > On Sun, 2009-03-01 at 17:01 -0500, Martin Peach wrote:
> [snip]
> >> Probably I need to set the sockets to nonblocking.
> >
> > what does that mean: setting sockets to non-blocking? will this cause
> > the sockets to simply ommit data, that cannot be sent in time?
>
> http://docsrv.sco.com/SDK_netapi/sockC.nonBlockSocks.html

yo, although it is well described, i am not sure, if understand
everything correctly.
if blocking would have occured, an error is returned instead and it
would say how much data could be sent. so then you can try to send the
rest of the data again some bit of time later?

if that is the case: if you want to transmit data as fast as possible,
the only non-blocking way would be to constantly try to send data, while
triggering the error, and try to send the next chunk of data, when the
error did _not_ occur? is 'pulling the error' the only solution to the
issues of the currently blocking [tcpserver]?

roman