[PD] style guide idea: [send foo] versus [; foo(

dmotd dmotd at gmx.net
Fri Mar 20 02:32:27 CET 2009

hmm.. generally this could be a good idea, but message sending is most useful
when initialising a number of receives ie:

[loadbang]

|; init-1 6          /
|; init-2 symbol foo |
|; init-3 -2         \

which is far more elegant than the the trigger/send replacement, especially
with more fields..

i think its important for students to recognise that this feature of messaging
has a role to play, rather than trying to veil its use. in my experience
people will tend to use [send foo] more often when they start pd, then begin
abbreviating to [s foo] before they appreciate the msg shorthand [; foo[. but
you are right it is a little confusing for new users..

perhaps this just needs clearer documenting? 'what does a semi-colon at the
start of a message mean?' in the FAQ?

dmotd